Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sidewalk Paint

With the temperatures becoming a little less unbearably hot, I have been looking forward to playing outside with Nathan a lot more. Soon, it will be too cool for him to splash in his kiddie pool, so I have been brainstorming and trying to find fun activities for him to do - both inside AND outside. I hit the bulls-eye when I discovered and tried the idea of sidewalk paint yesterday. WHAT FUN!


Nathan LOVED it but, to be honest, I think I had more fun than he did! Here is the recipe that I used for our sidewalk paint:

  • 1/4 cup of cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup of cold water
  • 6-8 drops of food coloring

Put the cornstarch in a small plastic bowl and slowly mix in the water. Then add your chosen color of food coloring and stir together. Then pour into your choice of paint holder (I used a muffin pan). Repeat with each color.

Being my first time to try this, I only used about 4-5 drops of food coloring instead of the suggested 6-8. I was curious about it staining Nathan's skin and the sidewalk, so I watered it down a bit. As it dried, it lightened up considerably and had a chalk-like texture. It easily washed off of him and my muffin tin. Next time, I plan to use more food coloring so the paint will be more vibrant.

the paint in my muffin tin

Nathan getting ready to check it out

"interesting..."

He got it on his face and thought it was funny

Our finished product. I'll let you guess which artwork
belongs to Nathan and which belongs to me. :p




This was a fun project that we will be doing again and again in the near future! And it was so cheap!

Cornstarch - $1.00
One box of assorted food coloring - $1.95

Water - free!
Muffin tin - already mine
The memories and fun made - TOTALLY priceless! 

No comments:

Total Pageviews

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Bible Image: Creation Swap | Coffee Image: Pixmac