Monday, March 8, 2010

I Want To Disappear

On a day like this, I want to crawl beneath a rock
A million miles from the world, the noise, the commotion
That never seems to stop
On a day like this, I want to run from the routine
Run away from the daily grind
That can such the life right out of me
I only know of one place I can run to...

Chorus:
And I want to hide in You, the way, the life, the truth
So I can disappear
And love is all there is to see coming out of me
And You become clear, as I disappear

I don't want to care about earthly things
Be caught up in all the lies that trick my eyes
They say it's all about me
I'm so tired of it being about me...

Chorus:
And I want to hide in You, the way, the life, the truth
So I can disappear
And love is all there is to see coming out of me
And You become clear, as I disappear

I would rather be cast away
Separated from the human race
If I don't bring You glory
If I don't bring You glory


For the past month or so, God has placed in my path more subtle messages on this one reminder - it's NOT about me! (I know what you're thinking, "Oooh, touchy!") So many of us, myself included, would love to stand up and say with an ultra-confident smile, "Well! I'm glad I'm not one of those people who think only of themselves." Hmmm.... we're so blind sometimes. I know I am.

Getting out of the "it's ALL about me" attitude is harder than you think. It is a daily dying to self choice. It is a daily surrendering. It is a daily yielding of one's being to Christ. And it's hard to do because our flesh screams "NO!!!!" at the very thought of giving up control of anything in our lives.
  

Our human flesh has a tendancy to be completely self absorbed. We have the natural flare of the dramatic when it comes to Christ living and working through us. We try to think of every loophole and plea bargain just to remain in control of ourselves. But we forget that Christ did not save us ONLY for us to enter into Heaven. He also came and died so He could live His life THROUGH YOU! Why is it that so many of us think that by saying yes to Jesus once, that gives us the green light to say yes to the world and to ourselves for the rest of our lives? Why is it that so many of us assume that because we live good lives of integrity and somewhat high morals, that makes us somehow superior? Why is it that we have no concept of "dying to self"? Why is it that so many of us give no thought to the people around us who are dying lost, without hope....without Jesus?

We can come up with some "great" excuses:

So-and-so's spiritual condition is none of MY business!

Everybody makes their own choices, I made mine. If they want to die lost, it doesn't hurt me.

I don't want to push them away.

Well, that's not my calling. I'm no preacher, you know.

On and on it goes. My friend, it IS our business. As a Christian, we are ambassadors of the Most High God and King, and it is our job to see to it that everybody we know is a Christian. If they are, we should edify and encourage them in their walk! If they are not, then it should be a priority to do everything in your power to lead them to Christ. It should burden our hearts if someone we know is not in the fold. It should hurt you. It should concern you. If it doesn't, then something is wrong. I used to be afraid of pushing people away until I realized that you can't push them any farther away from God than they already are right now. We should not be Christians who say we are living for Christ, but rarely say a word about Him in our day-to-day conversations. Let us not be Christians who care only about our own lives, think about our own comfort, our own safety, our own success, our own image, our own wealth, or our own needs (or wants). Let us DIE! Let us crucify our flesh. Let us run a million miles away from everything distracting. Let us run away from routine, from mediocrity, from monotonous, dullness, from the watered-down, modern day Christianity that we somehow have gotten used to. And there's only one place to go - into the cleft of the Rock of Ages, which is Christ. I want to hide in Him because it is in Him that everything becomes clear...our purpose, our reason for existence, our path, our strength - EVERYTHING.

And the more we hide in Him, the more WE disappear.

John 3:30
"He must increase, but I must decrease."




No comments:

Total Pageviews

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Bible Image: Creation Swap | Coffee Image: Pixmac