Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Camouflaged "Buck Girl"

So..... I got a deer!

A striking 8 point, to be exact!  "Hooray!" for meat in the freezer, and a big "Wooohooo!" for a girl with a gun!

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket


Not to sound like a feminist (because the whole concept disgusts me), but I am enormously proud of "my mad blasting skills."

*grin*

Every year, at the time of hunting season, I think back to the verse in Psalm 42 that says, "As the hart (a deer) panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God." I think about how when a deer is shot and/or hurt, it goes directly to water - a life source - and how we, as Christians, should do the same. THIS year, however, I have thought about more than just that. I've been out hunting a lot this year, trying to "scout out" my first buck. I did a lot of things to get him....

* I dressed in camo, disguising myself.

* I went to great lengths to conceal my human scent (which grossed out my girly self).

* I tried to walk as carefully and quietly as I could through the woods.

* I hid amongst trees and bushes.

* I did my best to be as still and as quiet as possible.

* And on top of all that, my husband used a deer caller to lure the old buck in.

We pretended to be things we weren't. Trees and bushes (hence the camouflage), a doe and a young buck (aka - the deer caller)....  Doesn't Satan do the same? Does he not use bait to get our attention and trap us? Does he not manipulate us, lure us, entice us, and tempt us all because he wants to destroy us? YES, he does. My husband is a hunter. He hunts deer, squirrel, duck.... he uses bait, he uses decoys, he uses many things to trick the animal he is after. And Satan does the same thing to us. He stalks us. He learns what attracts us and then camouflages himself to be something that he most definitely is not. When he sees us out there doing a work for Christ, he uses all his evil tactics to bring us closer to him and his "gun" or "bow" or "fishing rod," and farther away from the safety of Jesus Christ. He's quite the hunter, if you will.

So, with that in mind and in closing, let me repeat the words of Peter....

1 Peter 5:8
"Be sober
(serious, watchful), be vigilant (awake, on the lookout for danger); because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:"


Let us take heed. Otherwise, we might, spiritually, end up like my buck....



No comments:

Total Pageviews

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Bible Image: Creation Swap | Coffee Image: Pixmac