Saturday, February 26, 2011

Shooting for a Naturally Clean Home

So I checked out a very helpful book from our library. The name? The Naturally Clean Home. I love it! I am slowly beginning to go more natural each year. I have tried the "baking soda and apple cider vinegar mixture" instead of shampoo and I loved the result (I just didn't like the smell and neither did Grant, so I will soon TRY to modify the ingredients so I can use it again). I have used various natural mixtures to combat little pests, like ants and it worked! So....natural has been good thus far. Little by little, I am getting better and better! *happy smile*

I used to HATE veggies. Now? I juice them.

Introduce more veggies into diet?
Check.

I used to turn my nose at things like cottage cheese (which is proven to help cancer patients). Now? I add it to things like smoothies, yogurt, eggs, etc.

Ingest things you don't like? Check.

I used to think nothing of popping a Tylenol when I had a small ache or pain. Now? I drink more water, use a cold (or hot) cloth, rub olive oil on the area, give myself (or sweetly ask Grant for) a massage, etc.

Make consumption of chemicals way less frequent? Check.

I'm getting there. One step at a time. One interesting thing I am enjoying is learning how to clean using all-natural, every-day-and-around-the-house items. Most of the time, it is much cheaper and ALL of the time, it is better for you, health wise (i.e. inhaling, skin contact, etc). So I thought I would pass along some of the tips I have learned so far. Enjoy!


KITCHEN:


* For very greasy dishes: add 1/2 cup vinegar or lemon juice to the dishwater.

* To reduce spots on flatware or glasses: add 1 cup of white distilled vinegar to the rinse compartment of your dishwasher or into your dishwater.

* For a basic sink cleaner: mix 1/4 cup baking soda with 1/2 cup of vinegar and 3 drops of lavender, rosemary, lemon, lime, or orange essential oil and pour into sink. Wipe with a sponge or cloth. Not only will it clean the sink, it will also keep drains and garbage disposal fresh-smelling and free of clogs. Note: A vinegar rinse can be used before the final hot water rinse to prevent residue from the baking soda.


BATHROOM:


* For a soap scum remover: combine 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 drops of essential oil of choice and vinegar (just enough to make a paste). Apply to the surface and scrub with a damp cloth or sponge. Rinse well.

* For tough toilet stains or rings: mix together 1 cup of borax, 1 cup of vinegar, 10 drops of pine or lavender essential oil and 5 drops of lemon or lime essential oil. Combine in a bowl or bottle and pour all at once into the toilet bowl. Allow it to sit overnight. In the morning, just flush!


LAUNDRY:

* Chocolate stains: Make a paste of borax and water and spread over the stain. Allow to dry and then launder as usual.

* Blood stains: Immediately rinse the garment in cool water. If necessary, let the garment soak in a solution of laundry soap and water for several hours. For light-colored fabrics, try wiping with a soft cloth moistened with hydrogen peroxide. Launder and dry as usual.

* Grass stains: Soak garment in vinegar, then spread a paste of baking soda and water over the stain. Wash in hot water.


CARPET:

* For mud stains: sprinkle salt or baking soda over stain. Wait 30 minutes, then vacuum.

* For ink stains: first, cover with cream or tarter. Then take a fresh lemon wedge and squeeze a few drops of juice over the cream of tarter. Using the flesh of the lemon, gently go over the spot a few times. Brush away the power and blot with a damp cloth.


Awesome stuff, hm?


No comments:

Total Pageviews

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Bible Image: Creation Swap | Coffee Image: Pixmac