Monday, March 12, 2012

Freezer Meals || Classic Chili

Last week, as I began to pull out what I needed to make chili for dinner, I decided to make a large amount so I could freeze several batches for future meals. It helps. :) This was a new recipe that I had never tried before and it...was....delicious! So, I thought I would share it with you.
   

 
Classic Chili

6 lbs lean ground beef
4 cups chopped onion
1 Tbs minced garlic
12 cups Basic Red Sauce (recipe below)
8 cans kidney beans (I used two cans of chili beans)
4 cans pork and beans (I only used one)
4 Tbs chili powder
4 Tbs hot sauce
4 tsp oregano
4 tsp black pepper
salt to taste

Brown beef, onion, and garlic in a large stockpot over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, about 30 minutes. Drain and discard fat. Cool beef; divide evenly among the freezer bags.

Into each bag measure 3 cups basic red sauce, 2 cans kidney beans, 1 can pork and beans, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon hot sauce, 1 teaspoon oregano, and 1 teaspoon pepper.

Seal and freeze.

Makes 4 entrees, 8 servings each.


---Basic Red Sauce recipe---

I drastically reduced the amount because I didn't want to make this much.

4 12-ounce cans tomato paste
8 cups hot water

½ cup dried parsley
½ cup minced onion
¼ cup minced garlic

¼ cup sugar (I used honey)
2 Tbs salt
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried thyme
(I didn't have this, so I just left it out)
4 28-ounce cans tomato sauce
4 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
      
Mix together. Do NOT cook.

You can also freeze separately for later use. Makes about 40 cups (10 quarts)



1 comment:

Brittany said...

I made this chili today and ended up making the whole batch of red sauce. Do you have any other recipes that use the red sauce? Thanks a lot. You can email me at brit tany pri or (at) gm ail (dot) com (no spaces) if you do. Thanks again. Love your blog!

Total Pageviews

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Bible Image: Creation Swap | Coffee Image: Pixmac