Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I FINALLY made my own laundry detergent. I've been wanting to do that for quite a while and today was the day. :) Here is the recipe I used:
 

Powdered Laundry Soap:

* 2 cups finely grated soap (Ivory, Fels Naptha, Zote, homemade, or a combination. As you can see in the picture, I used Fels Naptha.)
* 1 cup borax
* 1 cup washing soda

Mix and store in a coffee can or what have you. Use 1-2 Tbs per load.

Yes....it's that simple. :) I like using powdered laundry soap. However, if you prefer liquid (and I plan to try it out to see if I like homemade better than store-bought), then below is the recipe:
 
      
Liquid Laundry Soap:

* 2 cups finely grated soap
* 1 cup borax
* 1 cup washing soda
* water and bucket (1 gallon)

1. If you tried the powder version and want to switch that batch to liquid, cook it all in the saucepan together over medium until the soap melts OR if your ingredients are still separate, melt the soap over medium in a few cups of water and add the rest right after you take it off the heat and stir to dissolve.


2. Pour in pail and add enough HOT water to equal one gallon. Stir well.


3. Let set up overnight.


4. Stir. It will be a soupy gel.


5. Use between 1/4c and 2 cups per load.

This stuff also works well as a pre-treater.


No comments:

Total Pageviews

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Bible Image: Creation Swap | Coffee Image: Pixmac