Thursday, August 12, 2010

For Such Is The Kingdom



Lately, I have been pondering the phrase Jesus spoke 2,000 years ago.


"But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God."   (Luke 18:16)

It is almost like Jesus is saying that the key to the kingdom of heaven is child-likeness, isn't it? In Matthew chapter 18, Jesus said to be as little children and if we come to Him like a child comes to their father, then we are made great in His kingdom.


"At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven."  (Matthew 18:1-4)

These passages in Scripture have been on my mind heavily for quite a while now. Coming from a family of five younger siblings and quite a handful of young cousins, I can say that I know a bit about children.
 
Children are innocent. Children are trusting. Children have a spirit of adventure. Children dream, while adults force themselves to focus on the tough reality. Children believe the unbelievable. Children are teachable; easily able to mold.
 
For such is the kingdom....
 
The more I think about it, the more I realize that I need to be more childlike in my relationship with Jesus. I need to be constantly filled with pure innocence, dwelling on the holiness of God. I need to TRUST my Master in all things. I need to trust that He will never leave me, never do me harm, never stop loving me. He will provide. He will prosper. He will give peace. I need to forever have the spirit of joyful adventure as I walk each day in His will. I should be anxiously and eagerly waiting for Him to move and speak every moment of every day. While living in a sin-cursed world, I should not focus simply on my hardships, but on the beauty of the Christian life, while serving and living out His dreams for me. I need to believe He can do miracles. I need to believe that He will do the impossible. And probably most of all, I need to be teachable by Him. I need to be clay that will not fight the potter; accepting every squeeze, every painful shaping of life, knowing that He who hath begun a good work in me, WILL perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.  (Philippians 1:6)

Too often, I am hard and cold. Unteachable. Untouchable. Haughty. Unkind. When I should be welcoming whatever the Lord brings to me, may it be rain or shine, many times I reject the opportunity to be as a child. When I should be giving, I am often selfish. When I should be trusting, I am frequently doubtful.

How I need more of Jesus in my life! The walk of a Christian really is an endless school of learning how much we lack and how we need Him more and more. I NEED HIM like a child needs his/her father and mother. And even though I am a grown woman, I still need to be as a child for God to work mightily in me.
 
Many times throughout Scripture, Jesus speaks of children. Many times, we see Him healing a child, holding a child, and - best of all - calling US His children.

 
Matthew 18:5
And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.


Matthew 19:13
Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray:....

 
Mark 9:37
Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.


Luke 17:2
It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.


Ephesians 5:1
Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;



Our Savior, Christ Jesus, said to be as a child...for such is the kingdom...and I can see why. May it be so.
 

No comments:

Total Pageviews

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Bible Image: Creation Swap | Coffee Image: Pixmac