Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

Breakfast cookies just SOUND delicious, don't they? I thought so too, and that is why I decided to make a batch today to freeze for those days when I don't feel like cooking breakfast. I came across this recipe that delivered a healthy, tasty, and easy breakfast treat and, let's get real, when does a cookie NOT sound good?? :) Anyway, they were fun to make and I enjoyed the satisfaction of knowing that what I was baking was GOOD for me! Always wonderful. :) The only change I am going to make next time is the size of the cookie. I am going to make them a little larger because I must have scarfed down six or seven of them in the span of two hours. Yikes! It would be easier for me to admit I ate THREE instead of SIX....ha!

Anyway, here is the recipe.
  


Make-Ahead Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

½ cup peanut butter
½ cup applesauce
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas, mashed
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1½ cups flour (all-purpose or ¾ cup all-purpose and ¾ cup whole wheat) -- I used all whole wheat
¼ cup toasted wheat germ (I used flax seed meal)
2 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant)
1 cup raisins (or dried cranberries, or chocolate chips) -- Optional. I didn't use any

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

With an electric mixer, beat the peanut butter and applesauce until combined. Beat in the brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla, beating until mixed. Stir in the bananas, baking soda and salt.

Add the flour and wheat germ, mixing until combined. Stir in the oatmeal and raisins.

Drop ¼-cup dollops of batter four inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Press down slightly with the palm of your hand to flatten into three-inch rounds.

Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are browned. Let stand 1 minute on the tray, then remove to a wire rack.

Yields 24

To freeze: Simply cool and seal in a freezer bag.

No comments:

Total Pageviews

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Bible Image: Creation Swap | Coffee Image: Pixmac